Wednesday, April 6, 2011
Friday, March 4, 2011
Thursday, February 3, 2011
I am keeping this blog open and not making it private. I am doing this in hopes that I will spread a wider net and hopefully raise more money with my fundraiser! With that being said though, you will notice that I will be sharing no details about my travel dates or times or any details about my trip to Kinshasa. I do have a private blog which has more of my personal and family information but will not approve anyone that I don't know. If you are interested in following that, please contact me.
Congo is a country that unfortunately has a very sad and corrupt history. With that being said, bribery, even at an orphanage, hospital or airport is common and I wouldn't want to compromise anything! I hope you understand that my lack of detail isn't because I'm not a cool chick because actually if you knew me you'd probably tell me I say TOO much, but because of my safety and the safety of my travel partners and the children we are helping!
I've never been to Kinshasa before and I hope that this won't be my only trip there. I have been spending a lot of time thinking about the things I will likely see and experience while I'm there.
- Some of the most beautiful people in the world
- Some of the greatest music in the world
- Someone trying to steal my stuff
- Someone asking for a bribe
- A child dying from starvation
- A child dying from malaria
- Holding a child that is dying
- Helping a child that is dying
- Looking in the eyes of the many children I can't take home or help
- Wondering why I am the lucky one
- Making friendships that will last a lifetime
- Seeing pure joy in the eyes of a child when I give them something so simple, like a ball
- Asking "why" a million times
- Sweating profusely and wanting nothing more then a bath, then picking up a child covered in feces and holding them tight and suddenly not caring at all
I know these things, good and bad, are going to happen. That is why I want to do everything in my power NOW to raise money for these children so that when these things are happening I am not mad at myself for not doing more.
Thursday, January 27, 2011
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
In the coming weeks I will be throwing a fundraiser where you can enter win some beautiful pieces of artwork. Every dime used to purchase raffle tickets will go towards one of 3 orphanages in Kinshasa when we go to visit. Raffle tickets will be able to be purchased either through me or through the non-profit organization "Our Family Adoptions." All donations on the OFA site for Kinshasa Kids will be tax deductible so not only are you able to buy raffle tickets to win a wonderful piece of artwork that I will ship to you FOR FREE but it's tax deductible too. It's *practically* like I'm paying you to help the kiddos in Kinshasa :)