I've never been to Kinshasa before and I hope that this won't be my only trip there. I have been spending a lot of time thinking about the things I will likely see and experience while I'm there.
- Some of the most beautiful people in the world
- Some of the greatest music in the world
- Someone trying to steal my stuff
- Someone asking for a bribe
- A child dying from starvation
- A child dying from malaria
- Holding a child that is dying
- Helping a child that is dying
- Looking in the eyes of the many children I can't take home or help
- Wondering why I am the lucky one
- Making friendships that will last a lifetime
- Seeing pure joy in the eyes of a child when I give them something so simple, like a ball
- Asking "why" a million times
- Sweating profusely and wanting nothing more then a bath, then picking up a child covered in feces and holding them tight and suddenly not caring at all
I know these things, good and bad, are going to happen. That is why I want to do everything in my power NOW to raise money for these children so that when these things are happening I am not mad at myself for not doing more.